It is amazing how much the internet has changed our shopping habits in the past few years. I have always tried to stay on top of the learning curve when it comes to shopping for deals. There are several different factors that come into play when purchasing online. First, ALWAYS look for a coupon. Second, see if they have any free shipping options if you spend a certain amount. Sometimes, you can buy a very small item and end up saving $15 in shipping costs. I will walk you through some of the easiest ways to save as well as how I research products prior to my purchase.
Here is a list of a few things to quickly save money when purchasing goods online:
1) When looking for a product, I always look to Amazon
first. I compare the cost of buying used vs. buying new. There are some products you would never want to buy used...Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, etc.
2) I also look at Google Shopping
. While this service seems to have fallen off and be largely dominated by paid results, it is still a great way to find the rock bottom price of products.
3) DealNews.com - If I am not looking for a specific brand, but I need something like a Hard Drive, or a deal at 6pm.com
, this is the place to go. They update the site hourly and have some great deals. This site charges its vendors to advertise their sales, so they may not always be the best deals. They have a great iPhone App.
4) Google - If you are about to order a Pizza online, you can do a simple Google search for 'Papa Johns Coupon Codes'. I have been able to shave off at least 40% off my last 3 pizza deliveries.
5) May times the Website you are purchasing something from will have a coupons/promotions page. The deals found here are not always the best deals, but sometimes you can find free shipping, etc.
6) If you purchase from the same site many times, sign up for the newsletter. By signing up for Neweggs newsletter, you get some GREAT deals that are not advertised anywhere else.
These are a few of my favorite ways to save money online. Many of the same products at a Super Center can be found online. Many stores are also starting to match prices found on the internet. For instance, Best Buy will match prices from newegg and amazon. This means you get the same great price found online in the brick and mortar stores.
All in all, a few minutes of research can save you 100's if not 1,000's of dollars. Take a few minutes and search for coupon codes. Save money using coupons!